4 ounces (120 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup (28 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
2 1/4 cups (315 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup (240 ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
2. Butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, and line with parchment paper, two - 9 x 2 inch deep (23 x 5 cm) round baking pans. Set aside.
3. In a stainless steel or heatproof bowl place the chopped unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder.
4. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and cocoa powder and stir until they have melted. Set aside to cool while you make the batter.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk to combine, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
6. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
7. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about 3-5 minutes).
8. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
9. Add the vanilla extract and melted chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
10. Add the milk and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
11. Beat only until the ingredients are incorporated.
12. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops.
13. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
14. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
15. Butter or lightly spray a wire rack before inverting the cakes onto the rack to prevent the cakes from sticking. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
Notes: Adunan besar, saya bahagi 2, separuh buat cupcakes dan separuh masuk loaf tin.