As salam and good day everyone.
Today I would like to share my sambal recipe with all of you. Sambal is a common condiment that be eaten with rice or nasi lemak (famous breakfast dish in Malaysia). There are a lot of ways to prepare sambal and this is my way of making it.
Sambal Ikan Bilis Syahani
1 kg Bombay Onion (big red onion) - 800 gm blended and 200gm sliced thinly
200 gm cili kering (dried chillies) - boiled until soft, drained and blended
150 gm ikan bilis (dried anchovies) - washed and drained
Gula anau or gula melaka (brown sugar)
1. Put in some oil in a wok then cooked the blended onion until almost caramelised.
2. Put in the blended chillies, some sugar, salt and 5 tablespoon of tamarind juice.
3. Cooked until the colour turned dark red.
4. Add in the dried anchovies, 5-7 tablespoons of coconut milk and sliced onion.
5. Cooked well and taste the sambal. Sambal must taste sweet, hot, sour and salty. If you taste all 4 then it is done. Or else adjust the taste until you can taste all 4 flavours.
Please leave questions in the comment box. Thank you.